Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Path to Becoming A Teacher Has Begun

Hurricane Ike dominated our thoughts the last few weeks. However, one other exciting event that occurred is the start of my teacher certification program. I started on Wednesday, September 10th and it is going well. At first I was a little overwhelmed with all the activities, reading, and assignments. Now I have the hang of the online system and how it works and I'm moving right along.

Over the next 15 weeks, there are five courses to take. With the exception of the first course, all other courses contain approximately four to six different modules. These modules contains readings, assignments, and tests. Each module has to be completed weekly. In addition to the online work, we are also required to complete 30 hours of classroom observation.

On Sunday, September 14th, I completed my first course (the one without modules). It was an online induction course that included such things as introducing yourself, how to use the software, and simple research techniques to help make things easier in the online course and the classroom. I am proud to say that I made a perfect score (100%) in that course.

I have now moved on to the next course - English Language Arts. I have currently completed 4 out of the 5 activities in the first module. Due to Hurricane Ike, our due dates are going to be revised so I don't know exactly when Module One of this course will be due. However, I am hoping to stay on the original due dates so that I have flexibility when needed later on.

I am so excited to have started this journey. I will keep everyone up to date on my progress.

No comments: